In offering alternative pet therapies, we are pleased to extend hydrotherapy services to our valued pet patients by way of a state of the art underwater treadmill. Underwater treadmills incorporate low-impact exercise with the relaxing benefits of warm water. Water provides buoyancy to reduce strain on sore joints, provides resistance to strengthen muscles, and warmth to increase circulation to muscles and other soft tissues. If we feel that an underwater treadmill routine would be beneficial in treating your pet, or supplementing their healing process, we will discuss this with you and devise a treatment plan. If you have any questions about our underwater treadmill, or would like to inquire about scheduling a therapeutic session for your pet, feel free to contact our office at your convenience.
Underwater treadmill exercise can help the following issues:
- Build muscle strength
- Elbow dysplasia
- Hip dysplasia
- Muscle stiffness or pain
- Pre-operative conditioning or post-operative recovery of numerous orthopedic conditions (fractures, cruciate rupture, patellar luxation repair, etc)
Under what circumstances can the underwater treadmill be used?
- Agility and sport competitions – Pets training to compete in various activities including fly ball, hunting, and rescue, can use underwater treadmill exercise in addition to their land training routines.
- Fitness training – Pets in perfect health can supplement fitness routines with underwater treadmill sessions to advance health.
- Obesity – If weight bearing exercise is too physically demanding for an obese pet, the underwater treadmill can assist in weight loss without causing a pet pain.
- Post-injury or Post-surgery – The underwater treadmill can be incorporated into your pet’s rehabilitation program to speed-up the recovery process. A supervised exercise regimen in the underwater treadmill allows a pet to slowly and steadily rebuild muscle in a safe, controlled environment.
- Senior pet issues – Exercise in an underwater treadmill is the perfect solution for pets suffering from arthritis and hip dysplasia or other senior pet problems by enabling free range of motion and low-impact fitness.
If you have questions about our underwater treadmill or would like more information about how it can benefit your pet, please contact our office.